Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Right, Errors that rarely happen...

Such as this one. These errors piss you off the most.

STOP: 0x000000EA
framebuf
Why? I don't know. It seems to be happening on the new ASUS P5AD2 Premium motherbords that I have with the new PCI-E 6800 Ultra's, with BIOS version 5.40.02.25.03, drivers 61.76's. I'm installing the 61.76's because the 61.77's kick out to a black screen after a WinPE install (I'm guessing because they are not signed... Though, I'm waiting on official word from Walt first...). It's a odd error, to be sure, and fortunately for me, it only happens every so often, like 1 out of 4 installs. But, to me that is frequent enough to be wary.

The error happens at the 34Min mark, and/or the 33Min mark. During which time, a correct install will have the screen "flicker" black about 3 or 4 times for about a half second and then continue on. I take it the Nvidia drivers are being installed/loaded or unloaded during this time and the install bluescreens because it reloads/unloads/reinstalls the framebuf.dll driver file. An incorrect install has the screen flicker than "BSOD!".

Since this problem happens sporadically, and ONLY when the Nvidia drivers are being loaded as well, I suspect that it is the loading/unloading of the drivers (if it does such a thing) or it is the Nvidia hardware.

2 comments:

Jake said...

Did you check the L1 & L2 Cache settings in the bios? I've heard of that problem on systems with L1 & L2 being disabled. I'm having the same problem on a system but I can not view or change the cache settings.

Trentent said...

Believe it or not, it was the Power Supply. We were using 465W Enermax PSU's but they weren't powerful enough. Switching to 600W PSU resolved this problem (it was happening on multiple machines with this setup, switching all of them to that PSU resolved the problem).